- Create an AppScript in Google that pulled a .CSV file from a web server
- Write a (python) script on the local machine that pushed the data into Google Spreadsheet by using the API.
The Google AppScript Way
But I got stuck. I think it's because the CSV file was UTF-16 Little Endian, and my regular expressions wouldn't work.
The Python WayThe python way is completely different in that it runs on the same computer as where the CSV file and pushes the data into a Google Spreadsheet.
I found bugs if you have funnily named header rows ( CamelCaseOnlyPerhaps ). That I solved by adding one cell at a time. It's slow but reliable....
I also found that if I used a DictReader() it broke, so I just iterated through the lines and the items ( which seemed to work ).
The End Result
Is shocking really. There's no error checking and you have to put your credentials in for it to work... but it works! And it means Estates can continue connecting data from various applications into one visualisation dashboard. Hopefully more on that later.